The choice of colors can make or break the look of any room, and the kitchen is no exception to this rule. Choosing the right colors for your kitchen can help it stand out from the others. This article contains some suggestions for kitchen paint colors.
It also has a simplified guide for selecting paint colors for your kitchen. Whether you are building a new kitchen from scratch or renovating a pre-existing one, this color guide will provide ideas on what colors you can use and how you can mix and match them for maximum visual effect.
The first thing you should consider when selecting colors for your kitchen is the kind of theme you want to make. Imagine the type of kitchen that you like and consider what the best colors for it would be. The choice of colors for a classic-inspired kitchen would be significantly different from what you will use to achieve a modern look. Your kitchen can also be inspired by a particular theme, and you’ll have to pick a theme-appropriate color combination to match. Deciding on the theme for your kitchen will help make the color selection process much easier.
The second thing you should consider is the color of fixtures found in your kitchen. Ideally, your choice of paint should match the colors of the items installed in your kitchen. Take for example big items such as cabinets, shelves, and countertops. A wide range of colors can complement appliances, cabinets, and countertops that are colored white or black. The best paint colors to match wood trim items depend on the shade of the wood. Some would like colors to somewhat match the shades of the appliances, while others want a little more contrast.
The third thing you should consider is your plans with the house for the long term. If you are living or intending to live in that house long-term, then you have more freedom to select the colors that you want for your kitchen. After all, you are the one who is going to use it. However, if you are intending to sell the house, then your color options become slightly smaller. There are people who may not be big fans of radically colored rooms, which somewhat makes the house more difficult to sell. The wrong choice of colors in a kitchen (or any room) can even lower the value of a house. This is why you should think of your plans for your house before choosing a color.
You can choose just about any color on the palette to paint your kitchen. However, there are some colors that are more effective than others. These commonly used colors listed here are chosen by both homeowners and interior designers for different reasons.
- White- You can never go wrong with choosing white as the paint of choice for kitchens. It is a neutral color, so you can expect it to fit seamlessly in any kitchen, regardless of theme, configuration, or color of equipment. It also gives a fresh look that is easy to the eyes.
- Gray- Another neutral color, it is fast becoming a color of choice for those who want to stray from the usual black and white. Gray is great to use when you are using wood or colorful combinations for the trim. It is even a highly recommended color for painting cabinets and countertops.
- Red- This color is a very popular choice for those who want a more intense look. It is a bright color that is attention-grabbing and sure to attract the senses. It is also a color that stimulates the appetite, so it makes a lot of sense to actually use red for kitchens.
- Blue- Different shades of blue is becoming an unlikely yet popular choice for kitchens these days. Blue has a great calming effect, providing a source of serenity for an otherwise busy kitchen. While it can be used everywhere in the kitchen, it is most recommended for use in walls.
- Yellow- This color is becoming a very popular choice for a lot of contemporary kitchens. With its brightness, this color will bring a positive vibe to any kitchen. It also creates an illusion of space, making tight spaces look bigger. Yellow is also a popular choice because of its ability to stimulate the appetite.
When you are not sure how your choice will look like, a little bit of visualization helps. Imagine what your ideal kitchen looks like, complete with all the equipment and appliances. From there, you can pick out the colors that you like. For inspiration, you can search for pictures of kitchens and observe how the best-looking ones make use of color to stand out. You can even create a rough sketch of your kitchen (if you are creative enough) using those colors. If you like what you see, then it is time to get some paint. Search local stores to find and purchase paints that best fit your concept. You can even have new ideas once you see paints available at your disposal.
To get a picture of how the finished product will look like, apply paint at a small portion of the area where you intend to use such color. If you get the effect that you like, you can proceed with painting. However, if the result is not what you expected (clashing of colors is a relatively common occurrence), you can still make some adjustments. You can always stray from your initial plan, especially if you see on actual application that the color scheme can be improved. Eventually you should arrive at the color combination you’ve always wanted.
Figuring out the best kitchen paint colors for your home kitchen can be a challenge. You can always go for simple, tried-and-tested styles, or you can go for a more radical scheme. Go for colors you think best fits the profile of your ideal kitchen. Use the tips mentioned here to find the best paint colors to use for your kitchen.